- An average un-neutered cat has 1–8 kittens per litter & 2–3 litters per year, that's upto 2 to 24 kittens per year!
- A single pair of cats & their kittens can produce as many as 420,000 kittens in just 7 years.
- Very few of them find the resources to stay alive & healthy & often lead a life of struggle.
How is neutering your cat beneficial to their own health & wellbeing?
Neutering or spaying your cat & even strays is beneficial to the animal's well being & improves their quality of life. Here are a list of benefits of neutering your cat explained by our vet friends at CUPA, Bangalore:
- Wild behaviour decreases and cats become calmer over a period of time.
- Stray Cats living outside are possibly attracted by potential mates already inside, this causes territorial fights. Sterilisation prevents fight over resources and mates, therefore directly reducing cat fights.
- Less chances of litters of kittens and therefore, no abandonment of kittens
- Helps reduce the overpopulation of cats in areas with growing numbers
- Reduce unwanted behaviours such as inter-cat aggression between house mates (in pets)
- Reduce roaming in male cats - especially in pet cats
- Reduce the risk of testicular and prostate cancer.
- Reduce the urge for your male cat to spray urine to mark territory - which is a common problem in many household pets.
- In female cats - Decreases Tumour Risk. There's less risk for malignant mammary tumours later in life if a cat is spayed before her first heat.
- Improves overall Life Expectancy in both strays and pets.
- It relieves cats from the constant stresses of finding a mate, pregnancy and looking after several kittens.
- It also increases the feral cat’s lifespan, which otherwise would be a maximum of 2-3 years.
- Most kittens born to feral cats do not survive as they face a life without consistent supply of food. Besides, they could get run over by vehicles or get killed when they crawl under car hoods for warmth.
Thank you for sharing such an awesome post. Its really nice and impressive. Keep posting.
Oh, My God!!! This is a great blog, I am happy that I have come across this one. It’s an amazing blog to read. Thanks for this wonderful content.